PORTOBELLO BURGERS WITH PESTO, PROVOLONE, AND ROASTED PEPPERS

This week has been a week of smashed cameras and  "dead" computers.  Basically technology has not been on my side this week.  But...I am back and I have lots of new recipes to share!  The first couple of posts will be without pics as I had not gotten a new camera yet when I made these recipes.  I have now gotten a new and improved camera and I am really psyched about posting the new pics I have taken of great recipes!

Last week I made the best Portobello Burgers with Pesto, Provolone and Roasted Peppers ever!  I found the recipe in my June/09 issue of Bon Appetit.  I will tell you I followed this recipe to the "t"!  This is weird for me because I always change or add something in a recipe.  This sandwich was just too good as is....so I did not change a thing.  This sandwich was absolutely delicious!  The mix of the meaty portobello with the melted cheese, pesto and roasted red peppers was awesome!  Place all those ingredients and a well made ciabatta roll that is slightly toasted and you have got yourself a gourmet sandwich that is for sure!  This is a perfect summer sandwich to serve along side your burgers for those vegetarian family and friends.  Even if you are not a vegetarian this sandwich really has great flavor and you will not miss the red meat at all!



PORTOBELLO BURGERS WITH PESTO, PROVOLONE AND ROASTED PEPPERS 

* Makes 4 sandwiches

  • 1/2 cup purcchsed pesto
  • 1/4 cup mayo ( we used fat free mayo and it still tasted great mixed with the pesto)
  • 4 ciabatta rolls, split horizontally
  • 4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed, dark gills scraped out
  • olive oil
  • roasted red peppers from jar, drained
  • 4 cups arugula
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  1. Stir pesto and mayo in a small bowl to blend.  Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Prepare indoor or outdoor grill (medium high heat).  Drizzle inside part of rolls with olive oil.  Grill rolls cut side down until lightly toasted.  Transfer to plates.  Spread grilled side of rolls with pesto mayo.
  3. Brush mushrooms on both sides with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill, rounded side up, 4 minutes.  Turn mushrooms over.  Cover and grill until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes.
  4. Place one mushroom on each roll bottom.  Top each with enough red pepper pieces to cover, then with arugula and cheese.  Press roll tops over and serve.

Comments