What to do with Frozen Poi?

If you live on the mainland and have a craving for poi, good luck!
Nah only joking.

You can buy frozen poi at several Asian grocers, but fresh is hard to come by. When my in-laws come to visit they always bring me a couple dozen lau laus from Young's Fish Market (my absolute favorite, broke da mouth) and a couple big bags of fresh poi.  I crave this stuff in a bad way.  Honestly, I'm usually a pretty good at sharing, but when it comes to my poi and lau laus.  I have to admit... I'm kinda stingy.

When I first moved to the mainland back in 1994 and saw frozen poi at the Asian grocery store I got all excited, until I realized I had no idea what to do with it. Luckily my mother-in-law had the inside scoops.  18 years later, I'm a pro at making fresh "Onolicious" poi, straight from my freezer.

I usually only make one or two servings at a time.  If you make more just start with 2 minutes in the microwave and continue with 1 minute intervals until the poi is smooth.

So here is a crash course on what to do with frozen poi...
I divide the poi into individual servings (about the size of a fist, I have very big fist) and put them in zip lock sandwich bags and put them in my freezer.

When I'm ready to eat it, I pull a bag out of the freezer and place the chunk in a glass microwave safe bowl, cover it with plastic and microwave for about 2 min.  ( I have a very powerful microwave 1100 watts) it may take longer in a lower wattage microwave.
It will look kind of ugly and lumpy, but will smooth out nicely when you mix it.
Start stirring to remove the lumps.  Microwave in one minute intervals stirring in between, until you have a smooth consistency.
When the poi is smooth, add ice and stir to mix.  This will thin out the poi and cool it at the same time.
Add more ice until you get your desired consistency.
Cover with plastic wrap and hold in the fridge until you're ready to eat.

Comments